Leaving the comfort zone in 2011

As the year draws to a close, many of us will be thinking about what personal challenges to set ourselves for 2011.

We all know that eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly can help us keep in shape and improve our sense of wellbeing. Taking that first step which takes us out of our comfort zone can be the hardest part.

30 of our supporters returned this week from Trek Nepal. Amongst the trekkers was Roddy Lee (pictured on the left of this photo, with fellow trekker Chris).

Having Parkinson's for 3 years hasn't stopped Roddy from testing his abilities to the full.

Here are some extracts from Roddy's trek diary:

"I remember promising to myself and my family, following my own diagnosis, that for as long as I am able I shall do all I can to raise funds for research into the causes of, and cures for, Parkinson's...

"A positive approach to managing my Parkinson's, with a healthy exercise regime and setting of achievable goals, helps me come to terms with the condition...

"Strange as though it may sound, Parkinson's has opened up new boundaries to me. It has afforded me new and challenging opportunities and as I pull off my boots at the end of each gruelling day I thank God and all around me that I am still able to lead as full a life as I do."

If you've been inspired by Roddy's story, why not sign up for a Parkinson's UK challenge next year and get your own adrenalin flowing?

You can:


Visit our Events page to find out more about other types of events you can take part in.

Time to take that first step?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.